Out with the old and in with the new…fitness routine that is! Do you know what that means? It’s New Year’s Resolution time! For many of us in South Florida, this includes a renewed commitment to health and fitness. We have some of the best gyms in Boca Raton and some of our friends shared their favorites a little further down in this post.
Very excited to watch one of the #SoooBoca Squad, the fabulous Kylie B’s running journey that she is documenting on her new blog Travel, Eat, Run so make sure you check that out.
Some of the most common fitness goals (including fitness goals for beginners) involve increasing strength and flexibility, building lean muscle mass and losing weight. While years ago the “weight issue” was geared toward looking “skinny”, the new fitness trend is toward becoming healthy and strong.
2020 Workout Trends
With the new year approaching, it’s a great time to consider some of the popular workout trends for 2020. The five below already seem to be prevalent in our area. At #SoooBoca, we’ve even adopted a few!
- Body Weight Training: Using your own body weight for resistance (think pushups)!
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): A workout made up of short bursts of intense exercise.
- Group Training: A number of people exercising together often lead by an experienced instructor.
- Free Weight Training: Incorporating weights like dumbells and kettlebells, correctly, to increase strength. These exercises can be done almost anywhere.
- Wearable Technology: Using smart devices like Fitbits, Apple Watches, pedometers and heart rate monitors while you exercise.
Consider these trends when planning your exercise routines for the new year. Maybe even try a few. After all, variety is the spice of life (and, you won’t get bored)!
South Florida Gyms
Exercise opportunities in South Florida are plentiful. Because of our beautiful weather, residents are able to participate in a variety of outdoor and indoor activities designed to improve their health and increase their fitness levels.
Many of our #SoooBoca followers are committed to exercise and good health goals this year, so I thought to myself, lets go to Facebook and do an unscientific poll and find out where people are working out. Here are some of the places mentioned with quotes on why they like their gym:
- Orange Theory Fitness Boca Raton East: “Orangetheory is my fave for almost 3 years. Not one class is ever the same!…Cardio and strength all in one hour every single time! PS there are many Orange Theory locations throughout South Florida!
- Pure Barre in Royal Palm Beach: According to Patti, it’s a “great workout”.
- Focus Functional Fitness in Boca: Another friend shared: “It’s family. Period.”
- Busy Body Fitness Center, Boca: “So much equipment. Everyone is so nice…… Nice trainers. It’s a serious gym.” And, according to another friend: “Busy Body because Samson is the exercise physiologist there and he is so above and beyond . He has laser equipment as well and it’s a convenient location and there’s plenty of equipment; you don’t ever have to wait.”
- 9Round in Boca: – “I’ve been going to 9Round boxing since March! I love that you can drop in whenever you want—no more excuses that you’re running late and are going to miss a class. And it’s only 30 minutes.”
- Lifetime Fitness, Boca: “I’ve tried other gyms but they just don’t compare to lifetime to me”.
- High Speed Dirt Fitness, Boca: “Looooove High Speed Dirt Fitness – it’s obstacle course training and the workouts are like a game. The best part is the people.”
- Ashley Sica Fitness Transformation Studio, Boca: Alyson told us “Ashley Sica fitness is amazing.”
- Pilates Space Florida is in East Boca if you are looking to add this to your fitness routine!
- Yoga Joint – Boca Raton and Deerfield – “The fusion flow class is amazing.”
Lastly many people do have private trainers and training that is either at a local gym or at home. Sooo many options to choose from in Boca Raton!
I have recently added the Classpass App to my phone and am loving it! There are many Classpass studios that you can access in our community!
This is how it works! You can purchase credits each month and use your membership in 2500 cities to visit fitness locations that include gyms, yoga and pilate studios, dance and more! They do offer a FREE trial so check that out here and many of our local gyms and studios are on the app.
At the time of this post of 1/7/2020 you can get $30 off your first month of workouts. As the say on their site “You can take class anywhere (seriously, they have every top studio and gym) in everything from boxing to barre.” Great if you travel frequently or like a variety of classes and locations to choose from or simply want to try several different things to see what resonates with you.
The new year is an awesome time to join a gym. There may be new member specials and it’s an ideal way to help accomplish your fitness goals. Gym memberships provide you access to a broad range of equipment, classes and knowledgeable instructors so support our local gyms and let us know if you uncover a hidden gem!