It’s November, and you know what that means…..the holidays have officially arrived! At #SoooBoca we love both Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving. We know we are fortunate that we can celebrate at home, dine out or even have a beach Thanksgiving!
**Keep in mind, this year is a bit different and Covid-19 has us implementing social distancing, the wearing of masks and small gatherings.This post is one that I update annually so please keep in mind the guidelines that are currently in place.
We also know that Thanksgiving getaways are popular and people visit beautiful Boca Raton and South Florida for the holidays. We we have put together some suggestions for you whether you live here or are simply visiting South Florida.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate compensation at no additional cost to you. #SoooBoca is an amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.
“Friendsgiving” celebrations have become increasingly popular in recent years. If you have a group of fabulous friends who love a good meal (and cocktails), consider hosting a scaled down version of Friendsgiving this year! PS…check out Lionfish in Delray Beach for their Friendsgiving event and Toys for Tots Kickoff!
5 Tips to a Perfect Celebration
1. Choose a Great Date: Apparently, Friendsgiving is traditionally the Wednesday before or after Thanksgiving. That said, celebrate when you wish! Personally, I love the idea of the Saturday following Thanksgiving. It’s the perfect way to unwind from all that Black Friday shopping!
2. Send Your Invites Now: The holiday season is a busy one, invite your friends ASAP. Have them block the day on their calendars!
3. Plan the Menu: While some people elect to replicate the typical Thanksgiving meal (think turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce), I prefer something a bit more modern: a cocktail party with yummy hors d’oeuvres. Or you can have a potluck and make a turkey (or your special main dish if you are vegetarian, vegan etc) and all your friends can bring their favorite sides and desserts!
4. Include a Signature Cocktail: I truly believe that no party is complete without a signature cocktail; spice up your Friendsgiving with a speciality drink. While our friends up north may be sipping hot mulled cider, lets face it, that doesn’t work in SoFla but an apple crisp martini or cranberry margarita certainly will.
5. Keep It Simple: The goal of a Friendsgiving is to relax and spend time with the friends that make your life special. So, plan ahead, cater or pick up pre-made meals if you don’t like to cook!
Thanksgiving celebrations are personal to to each person. Here are some resources if you want to keep moving over the holiday or need some volunteer ideas!
Post Thanksgiving Florida Meal Idea
Turkey Trots: You know that holidays means tons of great food. This year consider participating in the12th Annual Levis JCC Turkey Trot 5k held on Thanksgiving Day!
Don’t forget to go to the Community Calendars here on the blog for South Florida counties and cities, to help you plan your week.
Giving Back: A fabulous way to celebrate is to give back. Not everyone is able to enjoy a delicious meal for the holiday.
Take a look at this list of organizations; they all provide opportunities for you to donate or volunteer. Boca Helping Hands is right in East Boca so see how you can help out this year! Also the Palm Beach County Food Bank could use your help as well!
Or contributing to the Place of Hope Thanksgiving Food Drive. There is no shortage of volunteer opportunities this year.
It’s All About The Food!
Whether you love to cook or prefer to dine in or out we have put together some suggestions for you to make your day great!
Dining Out: While some of us LOVE to cook, others of us LOVE to dine out, and Thanksgiving is no exception. Luck for us, many local restaurants are hosting delicious Thanksgiving meals this year.
Want to be by the water? We love Oceans 234 just minutes from Boca in Deerfield Beach.
For our friends who love Galuppi’s in Pompano Beach check out their awesome Thanksgiving menu and make your reservations now!
Catering: Love to host but cooking is not your jam? No worries, you can still serve a delicious dinner by catering in! Both Doris Italian Market and Bakery and Josephs’ Classic Market can cater a full holiday dinner.
Not to mention the variety of Downtown Boca Restaurants that are open for both traditional and non traditional Thanksgiving Day meals!
My friend Heather Beardsley is the Keto Queen of Boca Raton. She has put together a fantastic menu so buzz by her site to plan your keto friendly Thanksgiving meal.
Lisa the founder of Garlic and Zest has some amazing Thanksgiving recipes for yor to try so buzz by her website and take a peak at some of her delicious ideas for your celebration.
Need some appetizer inspiration?
SuperGoldenBakes has an amazing puff pastry spiral with Baked Camembert, Honey, Rosemary and Thyme recipe for you to share with your guests! We wish would could have a piece of that right now!
VeganHuggs has a lovely appetizer recipe for Vegan Spinach Artichoke Cups one of our favorite combos and you can choose from many recipes to help you plan a vegan Thankgiving meal!
Do you do something unique with your family or friends for Thanksgiving? If so, please let us know! We would love to hear about your plans and traditions – maybe there is something we can incorporate into our celebratio this year!
Lastly if you love spreads and sauces you simply must check out some great recipes from my fabulous sister in law Annette and her company Bellisaris Gourmet Convenience to incorporate into your holiday meals!
You can choose from Blistered Jalapeno & Fig Spread, Blue Cheese, Honey & Shallot Spread, Calabrian Pepper & Sweet Tomato Fennel Spread, Balsamic, Shallot & Black Garlic Spread, Saigon Street Sauce and Barista Sauce all are simply delish!
Happy Thanksgiving from the #SoooBoca Squad from our family to yours!
As always please check the event pages and all links to confirm dates and times of activities and information we share on our blog.